8.18.2011

BridgePort Blue Heron Pale Ale

Bridgeport Pale Ale

Blue Heron Pale Ale from Portland based brewer BridgePort

Our heritage beer, Blue Heron, was first brewed in 1987 as a special release for the Audubon Society, and named after Portland’s official city bird. The taste reflects its Northwest roots, drawing on indigenous ingredients from the hop fields of the Willamette Valley and the barley fields of the high Northwest desert.

I picked this beer out because when I was looking at cycling shirts when we were in Portland, I didn't feel that I could wear the shirt if I hadn't tried the beer!

This very much represents the NorthWest, style, taste and color that you get in these regional American Pale Ale brews. Light copper color and very clear, can see through the glass easily. Slight white lacing. Super malt/bread smell and the taste coincides with the aroma. Very easy and light flavor of malt, earthy with some slight citrus (bitterness is almost completely non-existent).

Honestly, it took me a few different APA beers to figure out this NW style, the local ingredients are very different than those from the Midwest American Pales that I am used to.

All in all this was a pretty good beer and easy to drink. I would love to be able to bring this one home and use it as a gateway beer for my non craft beer drinking friends. Lots of flavor, not filling, not bitter! Great for a newbie! I don't give out many 5 / 5's but I think this one deserves it based on being the beer that finally made me "get" the NW style.

Happy Drinking!

Who: Cathy
Where: Seaside, OR
Price: $$
Score: 5 / 5

No comments: