8.23.2011

Cincinnati Craft Beer Interview: Lindsey Bonadonna the CraftBeerMaven

In my first of a series of interviews involving Cincinnati craft beer folks, I was able to score an interview with Eastern Region Vintage Ale Market Manager for Goose Island, Lindsey Bonadonna, aka the CraftBeerMaven. You may recognize her from one of the many craft beer events she puts on in our region especially in Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati. Check out her facebook fan page to see where she'll be next!


Name: Lindsey Bonadonna
Neighborhood: East Side Cincinnati (Amelia)
Job Title: Eastern Region Vintage Ale Market Manager
Years in Beer Industry: 4
Untappd Handle/Name: CraftBeerMaven
Beer Blog/Website: craftbeermaven.tumblr.com (going live soon!)
Facebook Group: Goose Island Fans in Ohio/Goose Island Fans in Kentucky
Twitter: @craftbeermaven

What got you interested in craft beer?
I totally fell into it! I managed a bar in Findlay, Ohio (Nino's) & was incredibly intrigued by the Goose Island Kilgubbin Ale label (honestly, I thought the Goose was cute) & cracked it open one night - I was blown away that beer could taste like that! My second craft beer was Sierra Celebration Ale, Sierra Bigfoot & Houblon Choufe.

I was offered a position with the local Anheuser-Busch distributor as their Import, Craft & Specialty Rep & I really credit them with assisting me in discovering my passion for craft beer - they sent me to ALOT of classes, breweries, etc & needless to say, I was hooked!

How did you land with Goose?
I was with my wholesaler for a total of 2 years & after my 1st year we started distributing Goose Island - I was THRILLED!  I built a relationship with the Eastern Regional Director & even though I LOVED working on the wholesale side, I told him "hey, if anything ever opens up, let me know". And eventually, it did. I started off as a Brewery Rep for Ohio/Kentucky & have recently been promoted to a Regional Vintage Ale Market Manager covering Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana.

What are you favorite parts of the beer industry?
The passion, comraderie, innovation, creativity & excitement & of course, the beer : )

What are the resources you use for beer/brewing?
Everyone around me! I am blessed to have any incredible group of beer people in my life that I am always harassing for knowledge & insights. I am also studying to prepare in taking the 2nd level Cicerone exam in the Winter.

I've recently started homebrewing & am absolutely loving that entire process. I wish I had the time to do it more!  I've also been trying to spend more time at Rivertown Brewery to learn the more of the production side of the business.


Favorite craft beer?
That is like asking a parent who their favorite kid is! It truly depends on the occasion. Lately, i've been ALL about Belgian Sours & exploring all I can in that style. My current faves are Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeeske Kriek, Goose Island Juliet & anything Cantillon. 

Any funny beer stories?
Too many to count! I think one of my favorites is when I had someone rudely question if I even liked beer because I'm a female & "looked like a wine drinker". Needless to say, that was met with quite a bit of laughter!

Any tips for new craft beer drinkers?
Try everything you can get your hands on!  There are so many styles, tastes & flavors available right now that there is truly a beer for everyone.  If you don't like one, try another!

Favorite Brewery (other than Goose!)?
There are SO many…I'll do my top 6 that are currently on my obsession list (in no particular order):
  • Founders
  • Goose Island (duh! I wouldn't work for them if I didn't love them)
  • Rivertown Brewery
  • Pretty Things
  • The Bruery
  • Rockmill Brewery

Anything else to add?
We are in the middle of such an EXCITING time in craft beer, educate yourself, explore, share & TRY NEW THINGS! Continue to discover new beers, beer & food pairings, beer & cheese pairings & even try cooking with beer if you haven't before. What makes us unique as individuals does not make us better than the next person, just different. – Take this approach with beer and do not limit yourself to one category & keep an open mind. To me, it is not a matter of who does what "better", but that what they do is done well.

A big thank you to Lindsey for taking time out of her busy schedule for this interview.

Happy Drinking!

No comments: