1.14.2009

New Holland - Dragon's Milk



New Holland Brewing brings us Dragon's Milk. An oak barreled beer, I'm not sure if it is a stout or ale or what. Not that I really care in the end, but it's hard to compare it to other brews if I don't know what type of beer it is.

"Dragon’s Milk Ale, is a crown jewel of New Holland Brewing Company. It is the unrivaled result of painstaking processes - both creative and scientific."

Not sure what to think of that other than they really want us to like this beer because it's hard to brew.

Anyways, it pours a deep dark chocolate color with a tan head. Smells of vanilla, caramel and a bit of the oak from the barrel. Tastes mostly of vanilla and alcohol, but some of the oak flavor comes through as well. I have really been into the dark/chocolate/vanilla beers this season but this beer didn't distinguish itself from the others.

I think that if it had been barreled in bourbon instead, like Jefferson's Reserve, I think I would try this one again. I was excited to try this because it was recommended by a stout loving beer friend. Sorry to disappoint, but this won't make it back to the cooler any time soon.

Who: Cathy
Where: Home
Price: $$$
Score: 3 / 5

Happy Drinking!

No comments: