12.28.2011

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

Chicory Stout

Over Christmas break, Cathy and I were able to sneak away to the Winking Lizard and grab a beer in between last minute shopping, eating, and family time. I was able to finally get a chance to drink the Winter seasonal from Dogfish Head, Chicory Stout.

This stout was very strong on the coffee flavor and the addition of the roasted chicory was a very nice touch. I do enjoy chicory brewed in my iced coffee and this very much reminds me of that. It pours a seriously dark chocolate color with a nice tan head. Smells were roasty, if that is even a word, and overwhelmingly like coffee (which is good in my book). The only thing that bothers me about this beer was the black licorice/anise. That is probably one of my least favorite flavors and when I get a taste of it, it takes over my taste buds.

I'm glad I got a chance to finally have a taste of this beer. Dogfish does a great job experimenting with flavors and isn't scared to take a chance. Since stouts aren't really my favorite style to begin with, I'll probably pass the next time I see this one.

Happy Drinking!

Who: Cathy
Where: Winking Lizard
Price: $$$
Score: 3 / 5

No comments: