1.12.2012

Evolving Taste and a look back at Brooklyn Brown

Have you found that you tastes for beer are ever changing and evolving? Recently, I have found that there are certain beers and styles that I just don't like anymore. For example, last night, I had a Brooklyn Brown Ale, a beer that I hadn't sipped on in 2+ years. From what I can remember, I loved that beer. It was one of my original "Go To" beers when I started expanding my palette.

I wrote about Brown Ale back in 2008 and had good things to say about it.
Brooklyn Brown Ale. One of my original favorites right after college. Very smooth taste because of it being a brown ale. It is obviously closer to an amber flavored beer, which helps with it being less bitter than that of a pale ale. Easy to recommend this beer to anyone.

Who: Luke, Cathy, Angie
Where: The Comet
Price: $$
Score: 4 / 5
I can't say that I'd rank it 4 out of 5 today.

Maybe I can notice different flavors better now that I have been tasting and writing for 4+ years and I knew that my tastes had changed, but I guess I didn't think it was that radical of a difference. Last night I didn't think it was overly smooth and would add that there was a slight bitterness from chocolate or cocoa.

I would still rcommend this beer to anyone, but I would recommend every beer for everyone. It's all a taste preference, mine is no better than yours or the next guy. Last spring, my friend Trevor and I, did a beer tasting / tournament for some co-workers. We did the tasting around the NCAA tournament so we did 8 different styles and had one on one tastings with a vote and the round "winner" would move on towards the champion of beers! The beer that ended up winning was a beer style that I don't like at all, but I kept making the point that taste preference was personal. I guess the only difference is that I have tried more, so I know a little more easily what I like and dislike.

Happy Drinking!

No comments: