11.28.2011

Brewery Roadtrip: Market Garden Brewery - Cleveland, OH

Beer Sign in the Market Garden Brewery
Over the Thanksgiving holiday I was able to sneak away with my brother-in-law Joe and head up to the Market Garden Brewery in the Ohio City neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio. The brew pub opened earlier this year (2011), right next to the West Side Market and also near the Great Lakes Brewery. It is worth the trip to downtown Cleveland for a few tasty beers and a really cool atmosphere. I think they brew some pretty distinct beers and are in good hands...
Brewmaster, Andy Tveekrem, has been a professional brewer for 20 years and prior to this venture has been the Brewmaster at Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Delaware (2004-2009), Frederick Brewing Company in Maryland (2000-2004), and Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland (1991-2000) (Source: Market Garden Brewery)

Taps at the Market Garden Brewery
I was able to sample the Viking Pale Ale and the Festivus Ale (paying homage to the Costanza non-Christmas holiday in Seinfeld), "It's a Festivus, for the rest of us!". Both were pretty good choices on my part and I would love to stop back and tick off a few more for my beer list. My only concern about the beers is the number of beers on tap. While having a choice is a great thing, my worry is that with so many beers to attend to, does the quality suffer? I can't answer that question now because I've only had the 2 to think about, but it is a question that I will bring back with me on my next visit.

Festivus Ale

The brew pub is a re-purposed grocery store and poultry shop and the marriage between new and vintage is done right. It's pretty easy to see how this place could have been a hopping place to grab a beer back in Cleveland's heyday but yet still feels new and in the right place. I love that this is right across the street fro McNulty's Bier Markt and down the street from GLBC. I'm hopeful for another beer stop to make Ohio City a destination for craft beer (if it isn't already). Ohio City seems to be going through a Renaissance, much like Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati. What is old is new again.

Cheers and Happy Drinking.

No comments: