10.30.2008

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

This was the last of the fall seasonal's we had in the ice box. Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is one of the better pumpkin ales that I have tried so far. The real problem I have with pumpkin beers is that they concentrate to much on the all spice and nutmeg.

Dogfish Head comes in with a different idea, they make it taste like a pumpkin not pumpkin pie, they also introduce a brown sugar flavor that really helps to make this beer drinkable compared to other pumpkin ales. It pours a nice orange/amber color more like a brown ale (Newcastle) than an Oktoberfest. You can smell all of the spices: cinnamon, brown sugar, all spice and nutmeg. A pretty full bodied beer and I probably could only drink the one at a time. The pumpkin taste is very apparent but not overwhelming and there is a pretty nice hoppy bitterness to finish it off. Which is why I probably liked it more than other pumpkins.

A good beer to try if you can find it. I am definitely glad that the autumn ale season is over, I've grown tired of this beer season and am excited for the winter/Christmas ales to come out.

Who: Cathy
Where: Home
Price: $$$
Score: 4 / 5

Happy Drinking!

2 comments:

Amateur said...

I think I just missed getting these around my way. Better luck next year.

By the way, I always wondered since the economy is tanking and all, what is your favorite cheap domestic beer?

I'm going with Coors original at $5.79 per sixer in glass bottles.

sonnett said...

Well since more than half of my friends drink Miller Lite, that is what we keep stocked. I don't care for the taste of Coors or Bud Light so those are out for me.